Monday, February 26, 2007

WWR: Lou Barlow and Baby Dig Gossip!

Listen Up! My personal musical folk hero, Lou Barlow tells Pitchforkmedia.com all about how he and his two year old daughter rock out to The Gossip. Joanna Newsom, not so much...

*****Cut and Paste alert*****

LB: I finally saw the Gossip play last year at All Tomorrow's Parties, and I'd heard some records of theirs that I really liked, but then I saw them live, and I was like, "Oh my god," you know, so good.

And then the other day-- we have On Demand, you know, On Demand TV-- I could see the Gossip On Demand. One video and I was like, "Fuck, I gotta get that record."

We have a two-year-old, so it's good to play music that the baby responds to. She fuckin' loves it! Totally into it, totally dances. It's really empowering music, and we listen to it probably three or four times a day now. I love it. I totally love that record.

And then we're trying to listen to the new Joanna Newsom record, but they make an odd pair.

Pitchfork: Yeah, I can't see a two-year-old being too into that.

LB: No, she gets kind of agitated when we play it. We have to turn it off because the baby starts getting really repetitive, like, she'll get locked into some sort of...there's a tension that comes over everything.

Pitchfork: Well, that's kind of the reaction that a lot of people I know had to that record.

2 comments:

JSE said...

I guess I must be two years old because I have the identical reaction to those two records.

Emsmom said...

I added The Gossip to my ipod last week, and am really enjoying them too. For once I don't have to check and see who they are when they come on--I know immediately. Thanks again for all the great music!