Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Answer to a Question I had Always Pondered...

What happens to the Superbowl schwag for the losing team? We all know it doesn't end up on eBay. Well, Danny and Nina alerted me to a New York Times article a few days ago that answered this age old question for me, and it turns out that it is full of what went wrong content at well! The NFL donates the hats and shirts to World Vision, a non-profit that distributes them to African countries.

Apparently it is OK for men, women, and, children in Uganda or Sierra Leone to be running around in innacurate Superbowl paraphernalia because who cares what's written on the front if the people need clothes. And MLB actually destroys the clothing.

But, I ask you, is this clothing so important, dangerous and meaningful even, that it has to be shipped halfway across the world? Also, does the NFL have any charitable committment besides trying to recoup the money they are forced to shell out making two sets of clothing where there can only be one winner?

I don't think I have ever read a story that so aptly describe American excess in my life.

1 comment:

Auntly H said...

Well, that answers the question that popped into my head when I saw the coach switch caps as the clock ran out. It does nothing for my conscience, however.