Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I will do my best to reevaluate that glass

The New York Times ran an article today that self-identified pessimists were more likely to die from heart disease than those who identified as optimists. According to the researchers subjects with the highest level of optimism were 45 percent less likely than those with the highest level of pessimism to die of all causes during the study. There are a few possible confounding factors, like they didn't screen the patients for mental illness, and all of the participants were elderly Dutch (sorry, LHM). Still, I can go to the gym and eat all the cruciferous vegetables in the world, but a sunny outlook? Not bloody likely.

4 comments:

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Wait, are we talking about the canalside-livin', marijuana-smokin', legal prostitution-frequentin' Dutch?

Or my people?

Em said...

The study did not specify, but I suspect they are the hot water spendy, Reformed Lutheran high tithin', double grandkid missin type. Or as you say, "your people."

Emsmom said...

m
Maybe we can work on this together. And I'm sorry! We come from a long line of worriers.

Lumpyheadsmom said...

I thought of you when I read this post at Mother-Woman.