Sunday, November 26, 2006

Where was the other sock?

  1. After reading Auntly H's cracked out post about socks I was inspired to see what happened to the last pair I remember having on my needles.
  2. I found 1 in my knitting bag, made by my Mom before she had to quit knitting entirely (carpal tunnel) to take up sewing before she quit sewing (not sure why). It had lots of stitches falling off its needles. I managed to pick them up. No matter. I have to frog it anyway. She chose a lace pattern and I am too sloppy to knit lace, since you can't tink it and I hate ripping things out. Since it is gorgeous Koigu I had promised her a pair of finished socks someday. This was about three years ago. But where was the other sock...
  3. I was forced to go hunting through my yarn stash. This is a process so humbling because not only is it full of way too much yarn -- mostly sock yarn, but it is also full of unfinished projects from me and my mom. It is too much for one person's psyche. Plus I have all of her yarn stash and needles too. That part is sweet. Someday I am sure I will knit all of it. But I still could not find that other sock...
  4. I remember I was using a pattern from a book by Lucy Neatby so I could learn a new type of heel, hoping to cure my boredomn, and I had stopped the heel halfway through. After opening every single yarn receptacle I own I decided to look in my knitting bag once more.
  5. And there it was, in the zipper pocket I had forgotten about, buried under an unfinished golf club head cover.
  6. So I have no excuses. I don't have to teach myself to garden this winter. I hope to finish those socks, and start a Wonderful Wallaby for Lucy (with yarn purchased for Henry) because if I don't it won't fit either child. Hopefully I can stick to it, but I am so tired at night and during the day I usually have a child threatening to disrupt which is reason enough not to begin.

2 comments:

Auntly H said...

So glad my new-found 'yarn ho' status is inspiring you!

Anonymous said...

Does this mean I might get my socks someday?? Hey, I didn't really stop sewing, I'm just taking a rather long break (don't know why).Besides, the fabric stash is much bigger than my former yarn stash, and who could I give that to? auntly H, I'm so glad you are hooked on socks! Your blog made me want to knit again, so much!