My ten favorite albums of the decade:
1. Arcade Fire - Funeral
This record got me to listen to music again, and I'm still grateful.
2. Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna Are You the Destroyer?
The best record about mental illness ever made.
3. LCD Soundsystem - Self-titled
James Murphy is more of a singles artist but "Losing My Edge" was my song of the decade. Definitely lost my edge.
4. M.I.A. - Arular
5. White Stripes - Elephant
Before Henry could speak he could hum the beginning of "Seven Nation Army."
6. The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine
7. Metric - Grow Up and Blow Away
8. Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
Wasn't really a fan of Jenny Lewis until I saw her live. Even though there are songs I have to skip on this record, it also includes a few of the best songs she ever wrote.
9. Thao With the Get Down Stay Down - We Brave Bee Stings and All
10. St. Vincent - Marry Me
And now for something completely different...
Ten favorites from 2009
1. St. Vincent - Actor
2. Metric - Fantasies
3. Thao with the Get Down Stay Down - Know Better Learn Faster
(These three acts happen to coincide with the three interviews I did in the last 12 months. I am a lucky girl).
4. Florence and the Machine - Lungs
5. Emily Wells - Dirty (EP)
6. Taken By Trees, East of Eden
7. Happy Hollows, Spells
8. Future of the Left, Travels With Myself and Another
9. YACHT, See the Mystery Lights
10. Jay Reatard, Watch Me Fall
2009 was one of the best years for musical releases that I can remember.