Sunday, March 02, 2008

Digging Out

A few good things have happened that have helped take my mind off of how upset I have been.

1. I realized that I may be willing to consider selling our house and moving to a different school district, or taking a menial job to fund a private school education for Henry, but I draw the line at home schooling him. That's kind of funny on some level.

2. At swimming Henry's teacher (and sometimes babysitter) was absent. He got put in a random group that included Lucy and about 8 other kids (too big!). He perceived this as a slight. He climbed out of the pool, found the buffoon in charge, explained the situation -- we could see a couple of tears while he was talking but there was no tantrum-- and got himself put in a new, smaller group. He had a fantastic lesson. Six months ago he never could have done that.

3. If anyone is curious about my first printed review in Venus you can read it here. They didn't put every single review up on the web from the last issue, but they chose mine. While this may be the tiniest indication of praise, I'm clinging to it.

4. I spent a good part of yesterday getting ready to work on what the school laughingly refers to as "a family project." We were supposed to create a time line of our child's life, which they claim somehow ties in with their Math curriculum. Hurray! My first idea was to do a version of Chutes and Ladders, but I rejected that because I can't draw very well and because I didn't think the school would appreciate how I placed a gigantic chute at the beginning of every school year. I settled on doing a clock because I could leave the "hours" from 7 on empty, and we could look to the future.

----------------
Now playing: The Books - The Future, Wouldn't That Be Nice?

5 comments:

Jen14221 said...

Home-schooling? I'm still laughing.

Olive Duster said...

I know how you feel - I have a metal hand.

Lumpyheadsmom said...

What a great project!

Auntly H said...

go Henry! (at swimming)

I like the clock a lot. Making the Chutes and Ladders might be cathartic, though....

5 of 9er said...

And selling a house and moving these days is easier said than done. Hang in there! And nice work on the review!